Tuesday, June 16, 2009

4th Annual "Bark at the Briargate"

I've always LOVED animals! My parents encouraged my appreciation for our furry friends at a very young age, and for that I am so thankful. I have never lived a day in my life without having a pet. My husband and I don't have children of our own yet, but we do have two incredible "fur babies." Our Norwegian elkhound dog, Neiko, and gray shorthair cat, Oscar, make our lives so much fun and complete.
It was only fitting when I was crowned Mrs. Colorado that I wanted take my title as an opportunity to work with various animal organizations. This was the first, of what I'm hoping will be many, animal focused events.
I spent a chilly Saturday afternoon supporting the 4th Annual "Bark at the Briargate," held in Colorado Springs at the Promenade Shops at Briargate. This event was originally launched so that shoppers would realize how pet-friendly the Promenade Shops at Briargate are. Many shops and restaurants actually welcome pets to both shop and dine with their owners. Following the "Bark at the Briargate" was the "Yip Yip Yappy Hour," which included a canine fashion show, live music, food and refreshments.
Many pet related vendors set up booths to showcase their goods and services, and dogs of all shapes and sizes roamed around (on leashes of course) with their owners. It was quite a sight to behold, and was a lot of fun!
Wow!!! This Great Pyrenees was truly a "gentle giant"! What a beautiful and sweet animal!

Pet owners were given the chance to submit their pet's photo to the Promenade Shops at Briargate’s facebook page. Various gift certificates were awarded to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners. Here I am standing next to the picture board displaying all the pet entries.

This is Reagan, he was the 2nd place winner of the pet picture contest. He was a very regal, patriotic dog.

This dog had the royal treatment; she rode around in her own little pink doggy stroller all day!

During the event I hung out under the Colorado Petacular Magazine booth. This magazine is a wonderful tool for Colorado pet lovers as their various publications include information on "responsible pet care education, entertainment, and inspiration focusing on the Colorado lifestyle."

Kicking off the "Yip Yip Yappy Hour" was a canine fashion show, which was hosted by the Colorado Petacular Magazine. This little dog was cute as a button all gussied up as a southern belle.

This playful pooch was dressed up for the fashion show as a hunter.....camouflage and all.

As a fellow animal lover, my loyal and supportive "Mr. Colorado" enjoyed the afternoon with me.

No comments: