Friday, September 11, 2009

My "Mrs. America" Experience

“To believe in yourself and to follow your dreams, to have goals in life and a drive to succeed, and to surround yourself with the things and the people that make you happy -this is success!"
-Sasha Azevedo

As I sit here at home after my time at the Mrs. America Pageant, I reflect on my journey and feel a sense of accomplishment and pride. I’ve always been a believer in that if you try hard, you will achieve greatness. I had the time of my life while in Tucson and I made some great friends, with one in particular who will be a dear friend forever…..my roommate, Mrs. Nebraska. My experience culminated in my placing as a semi-finalist in the top 11. There were 51 amazing women who vied for the title of Mrs. America, and to stand amongst the top 11 of them was a moment that I will remember forever. Although I didn't come home as Mrs. America, I still get to hold the title of Mrs. Colorado…..which is a HUGE honor! Home truly is where the heart is! I am so thankful to those who have genuinely helped and supported me. You were the wind beneath my wings, and I share in this great victory with you.

I started off being really good about keeping up with updating my blog while in Tucson. However, as I was warned, they kept us VERY busy and my “spare time” was best spent catching some much needed shut eye. So, this blog posting will be the last part of my Mrs. America experience in a nutshell.

SHOPPING AT LA ENCANTADA – September 3RD

They surprised us with an afternoon of shopping at the La Encantada mall. I don’t think that poor mall knew what hit them after 51 pageant women left!


Here is a group of former Miss Universe Organization competitors. Whether we won our state title, or just participated as a state competitor, this group represents the “married version” of our MUO days.

Me and my roommate inside the St. John store. They were kind enough to provide champagne, strawberries and cream puffs for us all.

COCKTAIL PARTY HONORING THE PRESIDENT/CEO OF THE METROPOLITAN TUCSON CONVENTION & VISITORS BUREAU IN DAVID MARMEL’S SUITE – September 3RD

With Jonathan Walker, the President/CEO of the Metropolitan Tucson Convention & Visitors Bureau


With Diane Tucker, Mrs. World 2007

TAKING PICTURES ON THE GOLF COURSE – September 4TH


The picturesque Loews Ventana Canyon resort, taken from the golf course.



SEPTEMBER 4th REHEARSALS

Learning choreography from Frit Fuller


DINNER WITH THE MANAGING DIRECTOR OF THE LOEWS VENTANA CANYON RESORT – September 4th

Pictured with Brian Johnson, the Managing Director of the Loews Ventana Canyon Resort



A group of us with Batsheva (standing on my right), who is the candidate coordinator


With Maureen MacDonald, Mrs. America 2009


With David Marmel, the President of the Mrs. America Organization
THE TRADITIONAL “SWIMSUIT PHOTO SHOOT” BY THE LOEWS VENTANA CANYON SWIMMING POOL – September 5th

I woke up bright and early at 4:30 am for the traditional “Mrs. America pool photo shoot” on September 5th. As nice as it would have been to go back to bed after this early morning, we had a quick breakfast and then off to rehearsals for the day.


SEPTEMBER 5TH REHEARSALS AND THE TRADITIONAL "CANDIDATE GIFT EXCHANGE"

It seems like any down time during rehearsals was filled with taking candid photos

The annual candidate gift exchange was a very fun evening. Each candidate is asked to bring a small gift of friendship for the other 50 delegates. I was so thankful to have my friend Debi Moore, the owner of Fandies Candy Company, donate truffles with crowns on top for my gifts. We placed our gifts to each candidate on their chair, and needless to say, the piles got VERY high! The same night as the gift exchange, we were also asked to bring our state costume so as you can see, for some reason, I was wearing my headpiece. Let me just say, it was a LONG day!

INTERVIEW – September 6th



Here I am getting primped and primed for the interview.

JAZZ CONCERT – September 6th
We were invited to attend a jazz concert as special guests at the Loews Ventana Canyon Resort. The music was great!



SEPTEMBER 7TH REHEARSAL

PRELIMINARIES – September 7th

Evening Gowns


Here I am in my state costume. I was a very “sentimental snowflake”, because this headpiece belonged to Tricia Dampier, who held the title of Mrs. Colorado 20 years ago this year. I was the first Colorado titleholder since her to wear it.

FINALS – September 8th


With Pageant host, and TV Icon, Florence Henderson. It was so cool standing next to “Carol Brady”!


One last picture with my awesome roommate, Mrs. Nebraska/Jennifer Hart. I was SO fortunate to have had a roommate that I will be friends with for the rest of my life!

Christina is one of my very best friends, and I’m so thankful that she guided me along this Mrs. America process. With her own image consulting business, “Creating the Perfect You,” she is truly a visionary at making women into the best they can possibly be.


Three generations of Colorado/Nebraska roommates


I will have more pictures to show from prelims and finals at a later date. Hope you've enjoyed watching my journey as much as I enjoyed taking it. Thanks again for your support!

No comments: