Thursday, April 04, 2013

Eating Clean for a Healthy You


Eating Clean for a Healthy You

When I was preparing for Mrs. Colorado and Mrs. America, I always loved finding new recipes to spice up my “clean” diet. One tip that my favorite trainer Tiffany Yee from Body Statement gym gave me is to request a mini refrigerator in your hotel room when traveling.  By having a refrigerator in your room, you can prepare and bring your own snacks.  I always find that the times I struggle with food choice are the times I am not prepared.  
I know this picture is upside down and I just can't seem to turn it. I still had to share it because these muffins got me through Mrs. America with ease. They are Tiffany Yee's Magic Muffins and you can get them at the Total Bodystatement Gym.  I made a batch before I left and froze them for easy travel. They are not only super healthy but they taste great!
In addition to the muffins, you've gor to try another favorite meal.  I have found that kale is so hearty, it holds up well in the refrigerator.
Kale with Onions and Pine Nuts

Ingredients
  • cup pine nuts
  • 1½ Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 yellow onions (about ¾ pound total), cut into thin wedges
  • 2 bunches Tuscan kale (about 1½ pounds total), stems removed, leaves chopped
  • 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
  • ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
  • ¾ tsp. kosher salt
Directions
Total time: 30 minutes

Heat a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Add pine nuts and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes; set aside.

In same skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until deep golden brown and tender, 12 to 14 minutes. Add kale, lemon juice, and ¼ cup water and toss gently. Cover and cook until just wilted, 3 to 4 minutes.

Remove from heat, add reserved pine nuts, red pepper flakes, and salt. Toss well and serve.

No comments: